The Beauty Box
Stay As You Sway
By Vanessa Gulino
Hello My Darling Divas,
It’s about that time of year when we all get excited to dance our little hearts out to the music of our favorite salsa bands and DJs. Yes, it’s Congress time from the east to the west coast. Let your inner Dancing Diva “shine” on the dance floor with the perfect, flawless and oh-so chic makeup. But before you put on your eye catching red dress and your favorite salsa shoes, here are some Beauty Box tips that will help your makeup last through the night.
My Salsera clients who attend the salsa congresses often ask me, “How can I get my makeup to last through the night?” and, “What products should I use?” I’m here to show you some great tricks to keep your makeup on for the long haul.
1. Powder is your best friend. After you apply your liquid or cream foundation always set it with powder. This will definitely keep everything in the right place. The best tip of all, if you become shiny or perspire, blot your face with a toilet seat cover to take off any excess oil. Then reapply your powder. Why spend thousands at the cosmetic counters when you can get it for free.
2. Primers are key before applying your eye shadow. Use your concealer on the entire eye lid and then set it with powder. Lastly, apply your MAC Paint as discussed in Makeup Must Haves. (Tip: The more bases you apply the longer your makeup will last.)
3. Keeping your lipstick on for the entire night is the perfect look for any action shot. How you ask? First, apply a liquid foundation on the entire lip and then set with powder. Line your lips with a lip liner and use your favorite matte lipstick. (Tip: Do not apply gloss as it will cause your lipstick to bleed.)
4. Lashes Lashes Lashes. You know this beauty accessory is near and dear to my heart. It’s my favorite accent, whether natural or dramatic, to a completed makeup look. Lashes open up the eyes and look great in pictures. (See Lash Addict for proper application instructions.)
5. Be bold and play with colors. As in previous columns, such as Lip Service or Neon Eye Couture, bright is in whether using eye shadows or lipsticks. This year stand out from the crowd with a pop of color.
My Divalicious Salseras, as you decide to go to either the Los Angeles Salsa Congress or the CT Salsa Fest this Memorial Day Weekend, take advantage of all my Beauty Box tips. It’s your time to “shine” on the dance floor. This will surely keep you dancing all through the night!
The Beauty Box
Photo of Melissa Rosado by Chasi Annexy